Become a Volunteer
Want to help your community? Become a VITA Volunteer. It's the perfect way to create a positive economic impact on our region. In 2011, nearly $3.3 million in refunds were returned to local residents and it's because of volunteers like you that we could do it!
Location of Volunteer Training
Goodwill Success Center
2601 Cross Country Drive, Bldg A
Columbus, GA 31906
(Behind Longhorn off Macon Road)
Directions: I-185 South. Exit Macon Road and turn right heading towards downtown. Take an immediate right onto unmarked road running in between Denny's and McDonalds. Drive straight into office complex. Success Center will be on your right in Building A.
• Get started by clicking the link above and registering with the United
Way volunteer Center. Then register for a volunteer training session.
NOTE: for best user experience use Google Chrome, IE 8, or Firefox
• Although a majority of volunteers will be needed for tax preparation,
other volunteer opportunities exist, including greeter/intake.
• No previous tax preparation experience is necessary. All
volunteers will receive training and certification through the IRS.
• All training will be interactive and done in a classroom setting using
computers. This allows for hands on instruction utilizing the same
IRS tax preparation software volunteers will use during tax season.
An instructor will guide all training.
• Training for adequate preparation is 6-8 hours.
• Flexible training dates and times are being offered starting December
2012. Once individuals register to be a volunteer, they will be able to
see the training dates offered and sign up for one.
• VITA Volunteers will be needed January 22nd - April 2013.
• Volunteers will be encouraged to contribute at least 16 volunteer
hours during the tax season. Flexible shifts are available to include
days, evenings, and weekends.
• Training can also be scheduled on specific days for large groups. For
example, if your organization has at least 10 people that want to train
on the same day, a training date for your group can be arranged.